If you really want to become an SEO expert and social media marketing expert, you need to invest in your education. Your knowledge needs to be cutting edge and kept sharp. What I’ve found is that by surrounding myself with industry experts in arenas that are just for SEO and Internet marketing and social media, this is the best way to keep up on the myriad of knowledge needed to truly be an industry expert in 2011.
So, I’ll give you my favorite places to schmooze with the crewz, and some other recommendations also. These are the best places to learn SEO, Social Media and Search Marketing this year, in my opinion:
1. The Ultra Advanced Symposium April 5th and 6th in Orlando, Florida by Search Engine Workshops. This is the true elite search and social marketing learning experience offered in 2011. Read the Press Release here:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/02/prweb5050344.htm (There will also be a follow up post just about this event). John Alexander and Robin Nobles run a class act institution for teaching white hat Internet Marketing Strategies. Also Some of their graduates have fine academies so you can learn close to your location. Search Engine Workshops is the ONLY search engine marketing curriculum that earns you a certification which is backed by a United States University. First time out, or rusty old pro, you should attend at least one of these workshops, I’ve been to eleven SEW Workshop events.
2. Webmaster World Conference and Forum Brett Tabkes Conference is great. I’ve been to seven Webmaster World / PubCon events. Excellent networking. Star studded panelists from around the world.
3. Search Marketing Expo The three Danny Sullivan SMX events I’ve attended have been well worth the investment.
4. Search Engine Strategies Home of the “Google Dance” in Palo Alto, this San Jose conference rocks. Been to four of them. Good specialty events also focusing on topics like local search , mobile, social, etc.
5. Aaron Walls Blog I should read it more often myself. Costs money to join the club but his blog is excellent and site has good free resources too. Aarons got great learning resources.
6. SEOmoz Training I missed this event the first two years but I know it is excellent and plan on catching it this year. This event/DVD set is best for pro members of SEOmoz.
7. From an SEO Expert Coach A good coach, like myself, can help any business get to the next level and beyond; often for less than the cost of travelling to any of these listed events!
8. Elite Retreat I have about 5 friends who have made it to one of the Elite Retreats and all spoke highly of the event. I wish I would come up with the $5k to attend one (Anyone want to sponsor me?). The teachers are all true experts sharing nitty gritty nuts and bolts on Intenet marketingstrategies, with out the self promotion coming from panels of many conferences.
9. Purpose Inc. Tink Tank This one is a wildcard folks but I think deserves to be here in this list. DK’s got it going on down in San Diego. I went to the Think Tank in 2009 and came home refreshed, with some great ideas shared with me from generous souls attending. This is a super rock star event. I think DK and I were the only two there who where not yet Internet millionares. Costs $3k and is by invite only. Excellent networking in a vacation atmosphere.
10. Matt Cutts Blog Matt Cutts deserves an award for his efforts at Google as spokesperson and PR engineer. His blog always has great advice on it for “putting forth your best foot” with Google.
That is the A list friends. The best resources and where to be search/social media events to attend for 2011. If I have the budget, I’ll try to be at as many events on this list as is possible. Maybe I’ll see you at one of them. If you’ve been to any of these events or have a question leave a comment.